How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has had 3 affairs in our 25 years of marriage. He

This answer was rated:

My husband has had 3 affairs in our 25 years of marriage. He has now left and is living in his own flat. I have a 17 year old daughter in full time education and now he's going back on what he agreed to pay. I work 30 hours and I know he earns a very good wage being Zel employed as a carpenter. I know when my daughter leaves education he will want me to sell the house which means for hi he will be quids in, nice lump sum and earning a good wage, me and my son of 25 and daughter of 17, I don't see how I am going to afford somewhere else or even buy him out as I don't earn enough! This is so unfair I have dedicated my life to bringing up his kids, looking after the house and our finances and also working in the process, can I fight for more of the equity of the house or get spousal maintenance? I am struggling to cope with all this stress as well as our children- many thanks for your advice. Lisa
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk are you in?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Winsford in Cheshire !
The house is worth around maybe £150,000 to £170,000? We owe around £42,000 on the mortgage
I earn £13,000 a year & my husband £25,000-£35,000
We own a car together worth around £3-4,000
We don't have any debts
What about pension provision?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a NHS pension but only been in this for 8 years & my husband has a frozen pension worth about £20,000 & he pays into one now but not sure on the value
How much is he asking for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He said if the house is sold he wants half! Which means he will get a nice lump sum and can move on, as he earns a lot more than me, whereas me I won't have enough to buy another property or even get a mortgage
is he renting at the moment or is this another asset?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is renting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he is renting £500 a month
how much does a two bedroom property in the same general are cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About £110,000 - £120,000 ish, but I would need 3 bedrooms as I have a son of 25 & daughter 17 years
I am afraid that that is not relevant so far as the court is concerned
I am afraid that whilst I do believe that it is likely that you will receive a larger share of the equity when the property is sold it is only likely to be a 60/40 split in your favour - or 70/30 at the very very most.
He can only force a sale after your daughter is 18
I am sorry - I know that this is not good news - but you do need to consider looking for any shared home ownership schemes that there are in your area
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you