How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I pay my ex-wife maintenance based on my income each month.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I pay my ex-wife maintenance based on my income each month. If I buy a house and receive rent, would the rental income be considered ‘income’ or ‘investment’. Alternatively, if I invested the money in a savings scheme and earned interest – would that be classed as ‘income’? Thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the exact wording of the court order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Here is the wording in the consent order regarding payments.

“The Respondent will pay to the Petitioner global periodical payments at the variable rate as set out below incorporating both child and spousal elements.

Such periodical payments to be reviewed annually and the periodical payments shall not fall below £70 per calendar month for each eligible child.

Such periodical payments shall not fall below 25%.”

The payments are then in a sliding scale as my income varies from month to month but basically I get the first £500 and she gets the rest up to a maximum of £2000.

Unfortunately in both the scenarios you outline the money you receive would be classed a sIncome and will form part of the calculations
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you