How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My x girlfriend (mother of my 2 children) has applied for child

Customer Question

My x girlfriend (mother of my 2 children) has applied for child maintenance
She has told them that I do not have children to sleep
I am now living with my parents and between us we have the children between 3 & 4 night per week
How can I contest this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have the CMS been in touch with you?
How much do you earn gross?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes CMS have sent me a letter

My Gross salary for 2013 was £16758.00

I am self employed as a Sole Trader

Tax is stopped by my contractors

I have the two children between 3 & 4 nights per week and sometimes


1st letter tells me to pay £51.59 per week

2nd letter tells me to pay £36.74 per week

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The second figure assumes you have the children at least two nights a week.
If you wish to challenge this you wil need to provide evidence that it is more than that.
I suggest that you discuss this with your ex using. Family mediation ( www.familymediation to avoid a court application if at all possible
Please ask if you need further details