How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Is it legal for a mother to take our 3 children on a vacation

Customer Question

Is it legal for a mother to take our 3 children on a vacation to her family abroad (while the father stays working in residence country) and declare to him a few days upon arrival that she will not return and stay in the other country were she will settle with the children?
Many thanks!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I can help with your question.
No - if the father had not consented to the children being permanently removed from the country, then it would be unlawful for the mother to retain the children in that other country.
If that country was a signatory to the Hague Convention on child abduction then there is an international treaty that should operate to mean the children would be promptly returned to the original country (which I assume is England in this case).
I hope that is helpful. If I can give anymore detailed information, please let me have some more specific details.
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.
I notice that you haven't yet rated my answer - is there any aspect of your question that I can help you with further?