How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter is going through a separation and they have agreed

Customer Question

My daughter is going through a separation and they have agreed a lump sum to be paid to her but her husband does not want a solicitor to hold deeds of the matrimonial home until she gets her money as he thinks this will cost a lot of money can you advise me please
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am sorry - what is it her ex does not wish to do - and is your daughter happy that the agreement they have reached is fair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Husband does not wish to pay lump sum to her for 6 months after she vacates the matrimonial home; my daughter does not accept this and what would you say an appropriate time scale would be; and he wants her to sign over the deeds of the house right away to him as well as the joint account they hold. my daughter wants for a solicitor to hold deeds until she gets her lump son. My daughter is disabled (has Systemec Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis and does not cope well with stress as this affects her lupus. He is inclined to shout at her and make her look at things from his perspective. He has agreed to pay for all divorce proceedings as he has been having an affair for some time. Is there any other information you require

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How long have they lived together; how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much is he paying her - and why is there to be a delay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Following my intervention with her husband everything has been sorted out and so now do not require further support from you. I thank you for answering question I requested. I will pay the money i am due but wish to cancel further any more payments. I have not actually logged in so don't know what I should do next

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am glad that you were able to resolve the matter - you are quite correct there is no basis on which your daughter should allow the deeds to be changed until she receives her money
Do also be aware that unless or until there has been a final financial order sealed by the court within the divorce proceedings your daughter retains acclaim on her ex ( and vice versa)