How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am on legal aid due to the split up of myself and partner

Customer Question

I am on legal aid due to the split up of myself and partner regarding my property.I have just been informed by my sister that I have got some compensation from my dads asbestos claim.He died in 2010 The amount is aprox £5,000 which my sister says she will look after until my property has been sorted out as I am hoping to move and start a fresh life with my 11year old daughter.My daughter over heared myself talking to a friend asking for her account details as I owed her £350 She then told my ex partner that I had money coming to me from my deceased dads compensation and I was putting money into my friends bank account to avoid paying my legal ai d which is untrue.My ex partner then telephoned the legal aid and now want to see all bank statements of mine and my friend which is not a problem.Last week I had £500 transferred to my own from my sister from the money to buy a new washing machine as mine has broken down and not worth repairing.I have a receipt for the new washing machine.Can you please tell me what I should do as I was told you are aloud to have £12,000 only and still be able to receive legal aid,is this crrect?Thank you Laura
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You do need to declare ALL assets to the Legal Services Commission - it is or them to assess whether or not this takes you above the limits - not you
Equally any failure to disclose all assets within the Court Process could give your ex grounds to take you back to court in the future
You need to contact the LSC as soon as possible and declare the asset
I appreciate that this is not the news you were hoping for - but it is the position that you are in
Please ask if you need further details