How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35078
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now


This answer was rated:

Due to prolonged stress, false malicious accusations now proved false and a large pay cut,  I am leaving my job and selling my house. Do I have to pay Child support although I will be earning nothing for the next three years? Does the CSA have a right to access and take money from the house sale?

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How will you fund the next three years living costs?
How much will you receive from the house sale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was planning to fund the next three years living profits from the sale of the house. After 3 years I can claim my NHS Pension.

I will after settling the mortgage have £50,000. Obviously I will be needing to use some of this to have a place to live, estimating about using £20,000 leaving £30,000 for general living.


How old is the child/children
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

16 and 14 in December.

You have nothing to fear from the CSA since you will not have more than £65,000 in capital assets.
They can still assess you but it will be the minimum payment based on the income you receive from the investments.
However you do need to be aware that your ex could make an application under Scshedule 1 of the Children Act for some form of financial provision form the capital - even if there has been a full and final settlement within the divorce process.
It is not likely that she would - but there is a risk.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I have now decided that after a 6 month break, I will return to the employment market.

Hi Shaun
I am glad to have helped you in the process - I hope all goes well!