How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I enter into marriage to a non uk citizen and I already

This answer was rated:

If I enter into marriage to a non uk citizen and I already own my own properties, should divorce/my death alter my intention to keep my assets (gained before matrimony) or in the case of my death affect my intention to leave my assets according to my Will (i.e. Leaving my assets to my children and spouse according to my own decisions prior to death)?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Whatever the nationality of the person you marry you need to make a new Will as marriage revoked previous Wills unless they are specifically expressed as being made in contemplation of marriage
In addition the Will must make proper provision for your spouse when you die - if not then your spouse can make a claim against the estate
What that provision should be will depend on a number of factors such as your spouses own financial position the length of your relationship - and the extent of your own assets.
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you