How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my partner of 23 years left me 3 years ago. we bought a house

This answer was rated:

my partner of 23 years left me 3 years ago. we bought a house together. I have now met a lovely man whom I want to spend my time with so I want to sell our joint home. my ex partner wants to come back and live in our house but cannot buy me out. He doesn't want to sell it but I would like my share to invest in the house my now finance owns
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your ex accept that the proceeds should be divided equally between you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes he know that I own 50% of the house as its on the deeds of the house.

Under Property law you and your partner hold the property on a Trust for Sale and you can apply to the court for an Order for the sale of the house at any time - and it will be granted.
A firm letter before action setting this out and giving a warning that your ex would be liable for your costs as well as his own.
You can read more here
Yours is the most straightforward of such claims and there is little doubt that you will be successful
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you