How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been paying child maintenance (plus ad hoc amounts for

This answer was rated:

I have been paying child maintenance (plus ad hoc amounts for holidays and the like) for two children since I divorced in 2011 - The older became 20 in June this year and finished a full time college course in July, unfortunately he hasnt had any luck in finding a job yet and may take an apprenticeship. The younger child was 18 last October and has just left school after completing A levels and is going on to University.
My income for the last year self employed only amounted to some £3000 (not yet completed my return for 2013/14) so i have been paying maintenance from my savings.
My ex wife doesnt communicate with me but I want to find out where and when my direct responsibilities to her finish so that I may make separate arrangements to help the children.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you paying under a Court Order at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am paying the amount the CSA said I had to pay there wasn't a court order
In that case the moment has already passed - your ex can no longer make any applications in respect of the children since they are over 18.
You should however be aware that your younger child could apply for maintenance under the Children Act in his own right if he can prove that his needs outweigh his income from all possible sources.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you