How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12189
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

a guy has left his house in his will to his granddaughter and

This answer was rated:

a guy has left his house in his will to his granddaughter and any money to be split between daughter and granddaughter. he is awaiting a bed in a care home and family looking to sell his house. when he passes away what happens to the money from the sell of his house?
Thank you for your question.
What other money or assets does he have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is approx £37,000 money in various accounts

Thanks for your reply. On the sale of the house the money would be paid to him. His assets would be such that he would have to pay for his own care in full until as and when he has less than £25250 in the bank. Thereafter he would have to contribute to his care on a sliding scale until he has assets of less than £15500 after which time that sum would be protected.
The above assumes that there is no pension which would pay the care costs. If there is, then the capital need not be used.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the family decide to sell the house and he passes away what would the happen to the money from the sale of the house?

It will form part of his estate and would be distributed in accordance with his will or in accordance with the law of intestate succession if he dies without a will.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you