How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife sand I are going through a bad patch at the moment,the

This answer was rated:

My wife sand I are going through a bad patch at the moment,the house is in her name she pays the mortgage but I am not on the council tax she is claims a single person rate, I no she is wrong in doing this and I've told her,
I have lived with her for 10 years now, 3& a half of them we have been married,we have 2 boys, aged 7-8, not that this is what I want but if we spilt up and divorce would I be intitled to claime anything off her for the ten years I've put in to the house? I havint done any thing wrong to bring the spilt on and I have that in black and white, I am just seeing what my opinions would be
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi house worth 130, thousand aprox, outstanding mortgage is about 35.000, no debts only are own personal ones, my income is Aprox 25.000, wife's is aprox 10,000 but on top of that she gets child tax credits aswell .
I am only after just basic information at the moment as I want to work things out , so just want to use up the £28 pounds payed at the moment
In the event of a divorce you do indeed have a financial claim on the matrimonial home - and could possibly achieve a 30% share of the equity.
However the priority for the court is the safe and secure housing of the children until they are 18 - so any payment would be received only after the youngest child turns 18 - or your ex co-habits.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you