How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am in the process of divorce and my wife wants me it have

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of divorce and my wife wants me it have one shared evening meal a week and every other weekend a Saturday morning to a Sunday evening.
I feel that this severing my relationship with the kids. I want shared so Mon & Tues with their Mum, Wed & Thurs with me and a rolling weekend.
We both work full time but thinks as the children are 5 & 7 they should be with her during the week and her family offering the the support after school.
Is joint child arrangements considered or do the courts prefer one parent having residency during the school week?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How were the children cared for before the separation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
During the week my parents (2days) and my wife's parents (3 days) split the days to look after them. Now they are full time school as of September.
Going forward is what will be decided via the divorce
Will you be living close enough for a shared care arrangement to work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no "set" pattern of contact - since every family is different.
Parents are expected to make their own arrangements as to how the children share their time between them - using Family mediation if necessary (
If no agreement can be reached then an application needs to be made to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - details here
Given that you both work full time and both have parents who have been actively involved with the care of the children there is no reason why your suggestion should not work - another option could be alternate weekends from Friday to Monday plus every thursday night and half of all school holidays which is a very common option.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you