How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a daughter who is 18 and about to start university but

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is 18 and about to start university but remain living at home, when should I expect to stop paying child maintaiance for her.
I also have a son who is 15, he is in the last year of school and likely to take a 2 year paying apprenticisip, again when should I expect to stop paying maintainance for him.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you pay voluntarily or via a Court Order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pay voluntarily, currently pay slightly more than I should and just want to understand at what point I should be able to decrease my payments with my Daughter being aged 18 and as my son has to by law remain in some form of furthur eduction until he is 18 what my commitments is

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Your responsibility to make payments to your ex for your daughter has ended - although your daughter could make a claim in her own right if she can show that her income does not always meet her reasonable needs - unlikely if she is living at home
You remain liable for your son so long as his mother is receiving Child Benefit - likely to be until he is 18 at least - certainly as long as he spends more than 12 hours a week at college.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details