How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi. My daughter and her husband who live in Manchester are

This answer was rated:

Hi. My daughter and her husband who live in Manchester are having huge marital problems. They have been married 2 1/2 years but been together for 10 years and have a 10 month old son. She has rung me several times in an awful state and doesn't know what to do. He has told her he no longer loves her. She is devastated but told him they needed a break and asked him to pack a bag. He did then when at work rang her very upset saying he hadn't meant it amongst other things but she said she is unable to forget what he said. He says he is unhappy but doesn't know how to sort things out. This has been going on for several months. They own (mortgaged) a house together. She has just returned to work from maternity leave. She us 31 and he is 32. She tries to sit down and talk to him and he just plays on his iPad and says he doesn't want to discuss it so feels she's not getting anywhere. As she said they can't continue like this, they are both unhappy and now sniping at each other constantly.
What advice can you give for the next steps for them and what would she be entitled to up if he does leave.
Unfortunately I don't live local to them I live in Derbyshire so can't talk to them face to face but she doesn't want me to talk to him as he may well get nasty about it. I did suggest Relate but they don't gave the money.
Any help would be gratefully received.
A very worried mum
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your daughter want to save the relationship - or is it a matter of her being worried about the future if it ends
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She would like to save the relationship but feels that he isn't interested and shows no emotion. She says she keeps trying to get him to talk but he won't.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do they each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The house is valued at about 155,000 and they have paid off 20,000. Don't know what other debts but they have a credit card. She earns around 22,000 and he earns about 27,000. Baby goes to nursery full time as she had to back full time but she is looking at childminders as it is cheaper. Car on a loan. As far as I know.
The first thing to try is Couple Counselling - also known as Relate - so that if there is a chance of salvaging the relationship they can b about what she wishes for her future helped to discuss matters - or alternatively they can help your daughter make her own decisions about the way forward
If she decides that relationship is at an end then she may wish to negotiate the details with her husband using Family mediation (
The priority so far as the family court is concerned is the safe and secure housing of the child until the child is 18 - so it is likely that your daughter will be able to remain in her home until then and once the child is 18 (or she cohabits) then the house will be sold and it is likely that she will receive a larger share of the property - say 60/40 in her favour
She will be responsible for the mortgage so will also get credit for any capital repayments made.
Her ex will have to pay child maintenance at 12% of his gross income at most.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you