How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Need help with child custody. I am male and have been my daughters

This answer was rated:

Need help with child custody. I am male and have been my daughters main carer since she was 11 months old (she is now 2 years 7 months old), mother only sees the child when it is convenient for her, often cancelled at the last minute, in 2013 she never saw her daughter for over 2 months due to constant cancelling by herself, never wanted the child if she was ill. Does not pay anything towards the childs upbringing. I need to know if I can get any free help with getting legal custody of my daughter as I'm on a low income. Decided on this route because the mother decided to take the child on holiday without any real notice,first she is taking her for one week and after she had left she told me it was for two weeks, would not tell me exactly where she was taking her and kept changing the date she was returning her. I do not want to stop my daughter from seeing her mother but I need to know what is happening to my child as I sort and pay her nursery fees and I lose the money if the mother decides she suddenly wants to see her daughter. The mother has never been to the childs nursery or shown any interest. All this uncertainty is making me ill because I think that one day she may decide to collect the child and not bring her back just because it suits her.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When did she take the child on holiday?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She took her on aug 22nd and the agreed date she was going to bring her back was 31st aug.

Has she returned now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she hasn't she keeps furthering the date along

Do you actually know where the child is now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's told me she's on holiday in great yarmouth.

What is the latest date you have been given for her return?
Do you believe she will bring her back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's now told me I can pick her up at 11 tomorrow (sat) at 11am. I really hope that's it and she will be there then and the date dosnt get changed again.

If the handover happens then well and good.
You shoudl then arrange to discuss further contact arrangements with your ex using Family Mediation ( so that a parent plan can be agreed as to when future contact will take place.
this agreement can then be turned into a Consent Order to be sealed by the court
Mediation is still covered by legal aid.
If the child i snot returned tomorrow then you are going to have to make an urgent application for an Order that the child is returned to your care.
You can do this very swiftly - but I hope that it is not necessary
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you