How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband is a member of the Royal Navy, and on Wednesday

This answer was rated:

My husband is a member of the Royal Navy, and on Wednesday 20th August we returned from an overseas posting. We agreed to stay with our individual parents (due to houses/space issues), until moving into service accommodation on Tuesday 26th August. However, on Saturday 23rd, my husband called to say he had decided to stay with his girlfriend and wanted a divorce.
I require legal advice on financial arrangements for myself and our two children, one aged 19, who starts University next week, and one aged 14, who has just started her first GCSE year. I have done some research, and have seen that I can receive a percentage of his pension and gratuity payments along with any standard civilian settlements. It is on this matter that I require advice along with the divorce proceedings.
We have been married for 22 years, and we both decided I would give up my career to keep the family together whilst supporting my husband in his military career, up to and including his current rank of Chief Petty Officer and moving around countries when assigned postings both in the UK and overseas.
I also require advice on housing. I have not yet received an eviction notice, but due to the circumstances I will have to vacate the married quarter after 3 months, and to add to the situation, I was informed yesterday by telephone that my husband will shortly be leaving the Royal Navy.
Please can you provide costing of the divorce process, as I am currently unemployed and receiving no benefits.
Your help is appreciated.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you wish to stay in the area that you are currently in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to as my daughter has started year 10 and would prefer not to move her school during her GCSE years. Also only 1hr drive to family.

That is fine.
You need to contact the housing office as a matter of urgency - since you will be leaving service quarters you are a priority housing need
You can issue a Divorce Petition based on his Unreasonable Behaviour (announcing that the marriage is over) immediately - the details are here
Although there is a court fee of £415 you will be able to claim fee remission because of your low income.
You are indeed entitled to a share of his pension and any lump sum that he receives - and to ongoing child maintenance for your youngest child at 12% of his GROSS income from all sources.
You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last week I spoke to the Local Housing Office, and they said I was not entitled to social housing because I'd just moved into the area, have no family in the area and am unemployed. I was advised by the Local Housing Office to apply to the council in the area where my parents live.

Is this just to reduce the number of applicants in the local area or have I a genuine claim for social housing?