How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a 16 year old daughter, her father has only paid 10

This answer was rated:

I have a 16 year old daughter, her father has only paid 10 payments of £10 and one payment of 50p. He has eluded the CSA by ignoring letters, work's phone on answer machine so not accepting the call. Prior to that, he first claimed he was on low-income and claiming Benefits, then claimed he no longer claimed benefits, but was still on low-income. Now he claims not to be working since last October and has now is no longer traceable via N.I. Number. The truth is, he is and has been working for the same Frame Making Business for at least 18 years. The Owner used to and I think still does, pay his workers - at least 4 of them - including my ex. part cash, part legal. The CSA say that he, if he wanted to, sit in the work place all day, every day and cover himself by claiming he's visiting. It would be pointless to hire an Investigator to prove his claims to CSA to be false, because it would be against his Human Rights - according to the CSA.
My question is......what can I do to get justice for my child and have him pay the money he owes, including arrears?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have the CSA actually completed an Assessment ?
When did you first contact them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

The CSA were contacted and have been involved since approximately 2011. The money was paid to me via them - no contact with the dad (volatile relationship). Sarah, my daughter wrote him a letter requesting that they meet - he did not reply. I spoke to him a few times at his work, where he gave me various excuses, the last one being his doubt to Paternity. Hence the CSA involvement.

What evidence do you have of his employment?
What assets does he have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I personally have seen him "at work", he is a qualified picture frame maker, i.e. loading/unloading van. His motorbike is parked on the pavement directly in front of the shop window. His assets (to my knowledge), is a new motorbike - replacing a old, tired looking motorbike.

What about his house? Holidays?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He apparently gave up or lost his Council flat, which the Housing Benefit were paying for. Now lives with his girlfriend in HER Council place, along with HER children. One of his excuses for not wanting to reply to my daughter's letter is, "she wouldn't like it and would throw me onto the street". As for holidays, the Shop closes for 2-3 weeks each year, all the staff have the same holidays. He has no assets/houses/businesses, that can leave a paper-trail for the necessary officials. Even the wage packets that he used to receive from his boss were unused, he would then mark them wk1, wk2 etc, how much he earned (always making sure it was under a certain amount, to be entitled to top-up benefits), seal them, crumble them up, tear them, cup stain them (to give impression that the packets once contained money), then send them off to the Benefits Office. Now he is totally under the radar!

Is his employer a company or a sole trader?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His boss is the sole owner; his name is ***** ***** of the business, of which he had one shop in Essex and one shop 5mins walk away from me. Also, Leonard, his boss, has purchased next door and has extended the business.

There is a major problem where an employer colludes in this way as it is difficult to prove income.
i am afraid that your only option is to report them both to the Tax authorities and wait for their investigations to bear fruit.
The other option would have been to claim that his lifestyle does not match his declared income but it seems that the has taken action to ensure that will not succeed
You may find this group can be of help,uk
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you