How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My ex partner and I hold a morgage together although I solely

This answer was rated:

My ex partner and I hold a morgage together although I solely live in the house now and have been paying the morgage and all the DIY myself for the last 12 months, how do I go about setting up papers as I can't get a individual morgage currently on my own?
Thanks for your questions.
If you cannot get a mortgage in your sole name and a separation agreement is not a possibility then i would consider instructing a solicitor with a view to drafting and executing a declaration of trust.
This is a written deed which can state that although you hold your interess in the property in your joint names you can say that you have different percentage interests in the equit in the property. You would hold a copy of this each and the proceeds of sale would be divided up for according to the percentages that you specify in the declaration.
However in order for it to be binding it is essential that both you and your partner independent legal advice on the declaration of trust and make sure that you both understand the implications of it.
In the circumstances this is probably the best thing to do if it is not possibility that you will be able to get a mortgage.
It should cost around £200 plus vat.
Kind regards.
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you