How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a seventeen year old living with me, a friend of my

This answer was rated:

I have a seventeen year old living with me, a friend of my daughter, she is in full-time education. I am on benefits. Her mother claims child benefit for her but she hasn't been home in six months because her parents are very unsupportive. I do everything for her because she has major spinal problems. She does not get any disability benefits. Can I claim tax credits for her even though her mother claims child benefit?

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have you considered applying for the Child Benefit?
Have you also considered helping her apply for PIP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I haven't considered child benefit as her mum gets this. I have arranged for PIP forms to be sent.

If the child is living with you then you shoudl receive the child benefit - which will then allow you to apply for the Child Tax credits
You can technically apply for the Tax Credits without receiving the Child Benefit - but you are also entitled to the CB
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ever so much. That is really helpful.

You are most welcome - i hope all goes well
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you