How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I got divorced 7 years ago. We have an agreement about the

This answer was rated:

I got divorced 7 years ago. We have an agreement about the financial side of providing for our 3 children. We chose this way rather than going through the CSA. Now My ex husband is changing the amount he gives me due to him having another child and also has included a reduction as he says he can do this to pay for travel costs between our homes. Just want to know can he just do that as he has decided to or can i do something?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much doe she earn gross per annum and how much is he currently paying?
How many nights a month do the children spend with him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire

my ex husband gets approx 50,000 a year. He pays me 386.00 a month for two children my third eldest child doesn't qualify as he is at uni. Our arrangement is he has them every Wednesday evening and every other wknd which is Friday and Saturday overnight. I just need to know if he can just reduce the amount he gives me by using csa rules considering we have an agreement and did not go down the csa road.

Thank you


I am afraid that even if there was a Court Order in place he would now be entitled to ask the CMS (new CSA) to complete an assessment.
I am sorry - I know that this was not the news you were hoping for.
However I believe that your ex is likely to be disappointed as my assessment makes his payment a good deal higher than his assessment
You can complete your own assessment using the calculation here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you