How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HI I have moved from Australia to uk. I had court orders in

This answer was rated:

HI I have moved from Australia to uk. I had court orders in Oz and my ex now wants more access to the children in the UK. Can I get the court orders mirrored automatically?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what contact does your ex currently have and what more is being requested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my 2 sons are aged 11 and 13. He used to have them every other weekend in Australia and half the holidays. I believe he will go for 50/50 care although he has not yet stated how much access he wants. what is the "norm" in the uk if parents don't agree? My youngest son told me "dad is going to love around the corner do we can go and see him every day"
How long have you been back in the Uk and what contact do the children want?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been back since 26th June, my ex will be coming over mid October. My eldest son who will be 14 in November is very much a peace maker and although he doesn`t enjoy going that much he will go to keep the peace and states he will go along with 'whatever you guys can figure out'. My youngest does have a good relationship with his dad and would probably be happy to see more of him. I know in Australia a child's opinion is not taken into consideration until they are 13 yrs old although it is possibly different over here. I also have concerns my 11 yr old still shares his fathers bed when he stays over. Although I don`t feel there is any sort of abuse happening I am just concerned that he is now in high school and it just seems wrong. But I acknowledge that this is possibly a separate issue altogether.

Would you object to him having midweek contact with the younger child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I would be fine with midweek contact as well as every other weekend. I just want consistency and for everyone to know where they're up to.

You can apply for a mirror order - but it will not be granted automatically - and it will make it easier for your ex to ask for a different pattern although it is unlikely that the court will impose a 50/50 shared care arrangement
In general terms between the ages of 12 and*****will usually go with what the child wishes if it is safe - but much depends on the particular child of course
Once your ex is here in the Uk you should suggest using Family mediation ( to discuss what the new arrangements should be.
Better still use a Mediator trained to work with young people so that their views can also be heard - and remember that at their ages they don't necessarily have to have the same pattern.
If the youngest wants midweek contact and the eldest does not then that is fair enough.
If no agreement can be reached then your ex will have to apply to the courts for the court to decide.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you