How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am married and have joint ownership of our family home can

This answer was rated:

I am married and have joint ownership of our family home can I leave my have share to my children or does it automaticly go to my husband on my death we have not made a will
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You can do this - but will first have to "sever the joint tenancy" on which you currently hold the property as owners.
You can read more here
Any local Solicitor who deals with Estates will be able to deal with this at the sam time as preparing a Will
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the reason for my question was cause i thought my husband had done a will leaving his half to his children from previous marrage but i see he can not if its in jjoint names thankyou for your help

He can sever the Joint Tenancy at any time so he may well be planning to do this