How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

I was named on the birth certificate of a child who at the

This answer was rated:

I was named on the birth certificate of a child who at the time I believed to be my son.
After a year I discovered that my wife had an affair and it was highly likely that the child wasn't my son.
We divorced and I lost contact with the child and my ex wife.
The boy is now 24.
If he could prove that I am his father could he claim retrospective child maintenance?
No, an adult cannot retrospectively claim child maintenance from a parent.
If he is in full time education it is conceivable he could claim maintenance now to help him now with his studies.
I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply
Best wishes
michael holly and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
I just have one more question. Could his mother claim for back dated child maintenance if she proved that the boy was mine?