How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I have just seperated from my wife and we have 4 year old

Customer Question

Hi, I have just seperated from my wife and we have 4 year old twins. She is now threatening to take them to live near her sister in America. What is my position on this please
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
Neither of you can remove the children from the country without the agreement of the other parent or an order from the court
If she does wish to move to America permanently then she will have to convince a court that any benefit will outweigh the loss of their ongoing contact with you - and that is getting harder
If she takes them without your agreement then the American courts can force her to return to the UK.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details