How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am 84 and need to gift my 3 grandchildren

This answer was rated:

I am 84 and need to gift my 3 grandchildren
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What gifts do you wish to give and why?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I have a little bit of money saved. I would like to gift it to them. So I can get pleasure in seeing what they buy with the money


Via my daughter Norma

Hi Elsie
How much do you wish to give them and what savings do you actually have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I want to gift 5,000 gbp to them each

Thanks Esie

Via Norma

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have more than 15,000 and a bit more. Would like to gift them 5.000 each. Sorry about rubbish review I could not see your reply

Hi Elsie
Do not worry - you haven't had a reply yet!
I have to ask - is there a possibility of you needing to go into a care home in the future?
If so how much more than £15,000 do you have (round figures)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 2,000

That is fine then
Provided they are over 18 you can simply give them the money
If you do have to go into a Care home there shoudl be no problem because you are allowed £16,000 before you have to pay towards your care costs.
Had you given money away to bring yourself under that limit then social services would have simply assessed you as still having the money - but as things stand this is not a problem
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I need you to advise me on my private pention

Norma Burnett