How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

European Family Law question: Child Support / Maintenance from

This answer was rated:

European Family Law question: Child Support / Maintenance from father who lives in Portugal. My child's father is Portuguese & now lives in Portugal. He has hardly ever contributed to our son's upbringing (a few pounds here and there). I am on minimum wage. Is it possible to get any legal help to pusue a claim for Child Support such as legal aid or CSA investigation?
The Father does not work as his family are wealthy. Childs Grandfather runs a number of businesses in Africa and gives childs father money every month, so there is no income from a salary as far as I know, but he owns a house. A friend is helping me to write this.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets does he have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
House in Portugal. Car. Money every month from father.
How much is the property worth?
How much doe she father give him each month?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is Martin typing again on behalf of Grace.
Don't know house value, she will try to find out, around £100,000 but could be double that. House could be in the name of his father (the boy's grandfather).
As already stated father does not send money regularly for his son.often nothing. Last month £23 (6 weeks ago) and today he said he might try to send about £50 at the weekend, it's very irregular, there is no formal agreement.
He also has a daughter with a different previous partner (who he also left just after the daughter was born).
I am afraid that the news is not good.
You cannot use the CMS (New CSA) and the father does not live in the UK.
You can issue Court proceedings either here in the UK - or in Portugal.
If you issue here in the Uk you need this form
and the fee is £215.
If or when a Court Order has been made you can apply to enforce any order in Portugal
Unfortunately Legal Aid is not available for this.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where on the form you linked to does she put the request financial contribution from tyhe father? is it just in the section headed "13 Your reason(s) for applying ..." And how should it be stated - as an actual figure or just as a request for the court to determine the amount of money?


Yes you are applying for a Periodical payment Order for the benefit of the child