How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland and own my property there. I am remarrying

This answer was rated:

I live in Scotland and own my property there. I am remarrying and going to live in England. I have willed my Scottish property to my daughter from my first marriage and I want to know if my new husband would have any automatic rights to that property if I die before him.
Thank you for your question.
No he doesn't. The property is not matrimonial and accordingly your husband has no rights to it in life.
As you have willed it to your daughter that is unchallengeable on your death. Houses and land can be left to whoever you want in your will. Your husband has no challenge at all.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you