How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am from Tunisia I have been in the uk for 16 years my husband

This answer was rated:

I am from Tunisia I have been in the uk for 16 years my husband died last year he was From Scotland and my doughter has a uk passport can I get a uk passport
Thanks for your question.
Have you obtained indefinite leave to remain after being on a spouse visa?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have an indefinite leave to stay and have had it since 1999

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You can only apply for a UK passport once you have naturalised as a UK citizen and obtained your certificate of naturalisation.
You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.
You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-
It’s quite an expensive application to make (the fee is £906), so if you are in any doubt as to whether you meet the eligibility criteria OR whether or not your supporting documents are satisfactory the I would strongly advise seeing a local solicitor with a view to instructing them. They will be able to take your full instructions then advise you on what supporting evidence to collect and give to them and then draft the actual application form for you to then supmit.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you