How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35067
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hello, can I pay maintenanace directly to my 16 year old child.she

This answer was rated:

hello, can I pay maintenanace directly to my 16 year old child.she lives at home with her mother,and ive always paid £50 directly into her mothers bank every week. I have found out that my child hardly gets any benefit of the money,as her mother fritters it away on fruit machines.i paid her double the amount the other week of which she got half on sunday and the other on child started college the other week so she had to get a few bits of clothing for my girl ,which was unusual as im the one my daughter usually asks as her mother says shes wed evening I get a text late at night saying my child is not going to college for the rest of the week as shes broke. I asked a solicitor at work if I can now pay it directly to my child as I want them to learn the value of money. I was told yes but ive since been on the web and it never gives a direct answer.i do pay towards the mortage and I would still do so as my ex is on the dole and wont pay towards it.if im allowed to give it straight to my child I would sit her down and tell her what its exactly can I pay my daughter or does it still have to go to my ex . sorry this is so long winded
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much do you earn gross per week/month/year
Who owns the property that they live in and how much is the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not the mortgage I'm concerned about. But it is joint between me and the ex. The social pay some and I pay the rest as we tried to do it where she pays a tenner a week and I pay the rest but she wouldn't pay it. We both kept getting letters saying about arreas so I have ended up paying for them. All I want to no is if I can pay the child maintenance straight to my child please. I was told by a solicitor at work that I can write a letter to my ex saying that as from whatever date I would cease paying her the money and will be giving it straight to my chils. Then I would have to sit with my child whose 16 and explain what the money is for. Am I allowed to do that. As I want my child to do well at college and go every day. But as it's been proven to me by my ex ,that my ex can't put money aside even for bus fare
I am afraid that the person at work was wrong.
Payments made to your daughter are not counted as Maintenance and your ex would be able to make an application to the CMS (new CSA) for an assessment
One option however would be to agree with your ex that you will purchase a bus pass for your daughter at the start of the term and deduct the money from her maintenance - but do get that agreed in writing
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you