How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35053
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Clare my daughter is 18 years old and has just started university.

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare my daughter is 18 years old and has just started university. I am currently pay her mother 15% of my salary. When will I be able to stop paying?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you pay via the CSA or a Court Order - or voluntarily?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Voluntarily. I have 3 children. A 24 year old boy who lives with his mom. A 22 year old daughter who lives with me and a 18 year old now at uni. When the children were younger I was pay 25% of may salary, then it was 20% and now it is 15%. I earn around £400 net per week.


You can stop paying the mother immediately.

Your daughter has a potential claim against you if she can show that her income from all sources does not meet her reasonable needs - but she would not get as much as you are currently paying her mother

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details


Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you