How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello, My ex partner living in Lithuania and I'm paying child

This answer was rated:

My ex partner living in Lithuania and I'm paying child maintenance to her Lithuanian bank account every month by bank transfer.But she decided to move in Uk. She want to stop payments in Lithuania ( By Lithuanian law you can't stop child maintenance, because this money is for children) and start claim here.Please let me know if is possible her to do that? I'm living and working in Uk 4 years.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there actually a Court Order in Lithuania?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this decision been done by court order in Lithuania 4 years ago, when we was divorcing, all arranged formally. I spoke with solicitor in Lithuania, they explain to me is not possible to stop. Just want to know if she can claim here again?

Lithuania Civil code 3 section 159(1) is mean parents cant stop child maintenance , because is effect child interests.

If your ex and the child now live in the Uk then she can make an application to the Child Maintenance Service for an assessment.
This assessment will replace the Court Order so far as UK law is concerned.
You need to keep a careful record of payments so that you can prove that they have been made in the event that she attempts to enforce the Lithuanian Order as well
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you