How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good Morning.I would like to ask

This answer was rated:

Good Morning.I would like to ask about my rights regarding cohabiting I originally Rented the property that she owns.I am gettig housing Benefit.Which I pay to her in Cash.We had arguement.Which resulted in me being given A Restricted Record of Caution.The Police said that she wanted me out of the house by 21st/09/14.this caution happend on the 19/09/14.I asked the police if they could ask her if I could stay until.The 29/09/14.I have tried 40 agents to see if they will accept Dss Payment on Rental flats But have come up with no offers.I would like more time to stay as I am waiting for application forms regarding housing.I have no were to go so I am at my witts End .Thank you Robert XXXXXXX

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Were you originally a lodger or a tenant at the property?
Where does she live at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We Started out as a Tenant.She has told The police that she is staying in a Hotel I have a 12 months Shorthold Tenancy agreement.For 12 Months From 1st April 2011.With option to the end of the term..She has offered to pay My deposit direct to the Landlord .When I can find a place .As i Have a Record of Caution do I have to tell future Landlords? Thank you Clare for your help in this Matter XXXXXXX

When did she move in with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare.She moved in about 2moths after I moved in .She paid the bills through direct debit and I payed her cash.When she asked towards the Bills also as I was in receving DSS payments that included the council tax which is in my name

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She moved in with me after about 2 months.She payed the bills through standing order.I pay cash to her when the bills came in also I gave cash for upkeep of house as I received DSS this also payed council Tax which is in my name.Thanl you Clare .Robert

So you continued paying the rent throughout
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been paying towards the Rent.She has not asked for any since she moved out

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sorry to be a pane.But I need answer A.S.A.P. As I have been told she is going away tomorrow/Thank you for all you are doing.Robert

You are entitled to argue that you are in fact still a tenant at the property (since it appears you were still claiming housing benefit) and accordingly if your ex wishes you to leave her property then she will need to serve you with a formal Notice to Quit just as she would have to have done if you had never formed an intimate relationship.
I suggest that you inform her that she is not entitled to evict you unless or until she has completed the formal process but that in the mean time you will seek alternative accommodation in any event.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

G I paid for ood Afternoon Clare.Thanks for your great help.This may not be your field but it relates to your payment.I payed for your service.Which again I will say was very good.And received a receipt.All ok.Then on the24th/25/09/14.I received 2 emails asking for information regarding my payment as they said they have not received my payment I was asked other question Regarding my card number And confirm my email address.This i thought came from the company that employs you.(Just answer) Name of company who has sent these emails Just Answer customer services(NCS-884-56225) I have contact Just Answer Had no reply so I am worried.Please Help.Thank you Robert