How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I split with my partner and continue to pay half the mortgage

Customer Question

If I split with my partner and continue to pay half the mortgage am I legally allowed half the equity when the kids are out of full time education or do I only get half the equity of what it's worth now unless I pay half the mortgage plus maintenance now ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you married and how old are the children ?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage - and is the mortgage repayment or interest only?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not married kids are 4 and 8
Value of house is 150k 111 left to pay on repayment type joint names on it
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You retain your claim for 50% of the equity at the time of any eventual sale.
However if you have not paid towards the mortgage then your ex can claim credit for any capital reduction othatbhas happened
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details