How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am separated from the father of my children, not yet divorced.

This answer was rated:

I am separated from the father of my children, not yet divorced. He has a new partner and baby. I have a new partner but he has gained a promotion which involves moving 300 miles away and wants us to move. Where do I stand, moving the children this far away from their dad? We have a fairly good relationship where the children are concerned and he sees them regularly every week. I'm prepared to renegotiate contact so he sees them longer through school holidays and some weekends. Thanks, Kate.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what is the current pattern of contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 and 3. They currently stay 2 nights in every 8. Thanks.

What contact will you offer if you move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anything he wants within reason really. Most school holidays. Some weekends. I know that it would be a huge wrench so whatever will be most effective.

You are going to have to go back to mediation in order to negotiate the new arrangements with your ex.
You are already thinking about the right issues - how you can maintain the ongoing contact - and remember Skype/face time can also be effective
If no agreement can be reached then it will be open to your ex to apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent the move until the Court has determined whether or not the move is in the best interests of the children.
You have a reasonable chance of success if that happens.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you