How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HiMy ex wife and I have been divorced for 10 years now, I

This answer was rated:

Hi My ex wife and I have been divorced for 10 years now, I had to have a court order put in place so that I could see my son which I have upheld as well as maintenance payments etc. My life circumstances have changed and I have decided I no longer want to live/work in the UK, much thought has gone into this and I have tried to come up with solutions to the obvious lack of regular contact such as being able to take the summers off work and any holidays my son has off school so that he may fly out to travel etc with me, this would mean I would spend more time than I already spend with him and the quality of time spent being invaluble I have also pledged to maintain the weekly maintenace payments. My ex isnt happy with my plans and says that she will not let my son come out to visit me and I will only see him if I come home and as per the court order which is every thursday night and every other weekend for the weekend. My son is 13 now if this changes anything, do I have any rights and the ability to change any of this as people must move away all the time and I take my fathering my son very seriously but also must live my life in a way that makes me happy.

What options if any are available to me?

Regards Luke

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What new contact pattern have you requested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have requested that my son be allowed to join me over the summer holidays and I have said I would like if agreeable to have him over half term breaks aswell, because Jake has school this would be the only viable option.

Your son has a right to regular contact with both parents - and of course arrangements change over the years.
You will need to discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation ( and if that fails you will have to apply to the court to vary the existing order and have a new Child Arrangement Order made setting out the new contact arrangements.
Skype Contact could also be built into the order.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thank you very much for your reply I will rate you shortly :)

In your opinion what are the chances of the court agreeing to let my son visit me abroad?