How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am thinking of my partner moving into my home with my children.

This answer was rated:

I am thinking of my partner moving into my home with my children. Is there any legal way I can safeguard my finances and equity in the house I own?
Thanks for yourquestion.
Are you please able to confirm that this is your unmarried partner?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for your question.
The key factor with this situation is that you remain unmarried to him if you marry him then it changes the situation and makes the position of your house and assets more uncertain.
If you remain unmarried to him then situations is a bit clearer in that he would only be able to claim against your property if you had children with him OR made capital payments to the mortgage, OR paid more in rent and other expenses then he would have paid if he was living in his own private rented accommodation OR carried out and spent money making material and substantial improvements to the property which increased its market value.
Provided he does not do any of these things and you do not transfer any assets to him then he will basically not be advised to make a claim.
You are fine to let him contribute an amount which represents the amount that he would have paid private rented accomodation those
Kind regards.
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you