How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to apply for a variation of the spousal maintenance

Customer Question

I want to apply for a variation of the spousal maintenance i pay my ex-wife due to a change in my financial circumstances.
Can I send Form A directly to the court or am I supposed to go through mediation first?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you

Mediation is now compulsory.

My concern for you is that the Order was made very recently and you will need to show that the change in your circumstances could not have been predicted - and has not been caused by your own actions

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Isnt the mere fact that it is a loan which I fully need to pay back on commercial terms sufficient to not have it considered as part of income?

I mean - it is like I would have to share with her the proceeds of a personal loan that I take out

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
No I am afraid it is not sufficient if in fact it is what is called a "Contractor Loan Scheme".