How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My partner and I are about to separate. We have 2 children

Customer Question

My partner and I are about to separate.  We are not married. We have 2 children aged 10 and 16. We have already agreed on joint custody to the children living 50 % of their time with me and with her , I have agreed to pay for child maintenance slightly above the legal amount My salary is much more important than hers I roughly earn £4.5 net per months she earns £2.5k Our living arrangement will be the following she will rent a house and I will keep our current house , however the amount of mortgage I pay will not go forward to her share of the house. I have already agreed that she is entitled 50 % percent of the house if we sell, I have to this day paid for the totality of this house , mortgage and insurance My questions is related to her entitlement to the furniture and cost she will incur in setting up her new home I have bought almost every piece of furniture, goods in the house , she claims that because we were living together she is entitled to some of it despite that I have bought most of it . I have said that she wasn’t entitled to the things I have bought While I think it is fair that I contribute to helping make a new home I wanted to give her £500 , I will still pay my share of the car ( I won’t benefit form it ) I would appreciate some guidance in what she is entitled to, I am in good terms with her and we want to keep it that way and I want to be fair but not loose everything I have worked for .

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What items has she asked for?