How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I have recently split. We were living in

This answer was rated:

My partner and I have recently split. We were living in rented accommodation (neither of us live there now) and the bills were in my name, he is saying that as they were in my name alone he is not responsible for paying half towards any outstanding gas and water bills, could you confirm is this is the case before I try and take it any further please?

Also, after we lived in the property we rented, for a short period we both lived in a house which I bought in my name, if my ex partner has proof that they paid towards solicitors fees does this mean that they are entitled to any equity etc from my house?

Many thanks

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What agreement did you make with him about the bills?
What contribution did he actually make to the purchase costs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your response.

There was no agreement with him about the bills, we had a joint account which I paid £450 per month into and he paid £350 per month into. All bill payments came out of this account but the bills were in his name.

To the purchase of the house he paid nothing towards the purchase costs, I am in the process of double checking but I believe the deposit came out of my personal account and the solicitors fees (of £750) came (I believe) out of the joint account but possibly out of his account.

Thank you


I am sorry - I thought you said that the bills were in your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm so sorry I mis typed, they were in my name, I paid the 450 and he the 350 into the joint account

So there was in fact an agreement that the bills would be shared and paid from joint income
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If both putting money into the joint account implies this then I suppose yes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Still waiting on an answer
My apologies for the delay - when you relisted the matter it disappeared form my list altogether
The fact that he was putting money into the account from which the bills were paid does indeed imply an agreement and on that basis you can recover his share of the outstanding bills using the Money Claim online process described here
If you wish to be careful then you can make allowance for the half of your solicitors bill that was paid via the joint account so that you can avoid any claim - however weak - on your property
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response, could you just clarify what you mean with regards ***** ***** solicitors bill part, I don't quite understand.

Many thanks

Yes - not the smoothest of explanations - my apologies.
You paid your conveyancing bill from the Joint account.
Your ex could try and use this as an argument for saying that the purchase was a joint venture.
It is a very weak argument - but if you wish to avoid it fully then simple deduct half of the bill from the monies he owes you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That does make more sense, so in essence just pay him half the conveyancing fees even though he hasn't asked and knock it off what I'm asking for for the utility bills just to have in essence a full and final settlement and closure?


Yes that is correct.
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you