How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother and step father have a joint bank account but my

Customer Question

My mother and step father have a joint bank account but my mother has dementia so can no longer sign. My step father and step sister have been into the bank without telling me and have added her name to the account. My step father has refused to add my name . Is there anything I can do about this ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why do you wish to be added?
Has your mother appointed anyone as her Power of Attorney?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This matter has been resolved now. My step father has agreed to add my name to the account.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome and I am glad matters have been resolved
If your mother no longer has mental capacity then as a family you will need to consider whether or not someone should be appointed as her Deputy - details here
Please ask if you need further details