How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35047
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I pay child maintenance to the mother of my child. I also

This answer was rated:

I pay child maintenance to the mother of my child. I also receive a bonus at the end of the year. How should I calculate the portion of the bonus which should be paid in maintenance? Currently i just pay an amount based on guesswork which is well above the amount I am legally obliged to pay based just on my salary.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How often do you have the child overnight and are you responsible in any way for another child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have child approx 110 nights a year, no other children. I have done the csa form online, but it doesnt advise on anyway to treat an annual bonus, ie pay lump sum, or is it retrospective from the last year etc

I see.
Simply treat the bonus as additional income - and apply the appropriate percentage and reduction to it
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so should i pay weekly based on my weekly salary, and then a lump sum when bonus is paid? and how do i calculate the correct percentage?

How often are you paid a bonus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once a year

If the CMS (new CSA) were involved they would base your weekly payment on the total you received last year including the Bonus - it would be the best way forward
You can read more on this site
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you