How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HI,my ex partner wont let my 4yr old son stay with me and my

This answer was rated:

HI,my ex partner wont let my 4yr old son stay with me and my girlfriend at weekends.
is there anything I can do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What objection does your ex have to your girlfriend?
How long have you and your girlfriend been together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has no objection to my girlfriend,i took my son home 1 evening but he developed a tummy bug,which I assume he caught from other children playing in the park that day,

since then ex has banned me from having him overnight!!

When did he last stay the night with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A couple of mths ago

Just to check - are there any court orders currently in place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No,no court orders

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
It is clear that your ex has no real concerns about your ability to care for the child - and one tummy upset is not really enough to merit stopping overnight contact.
On that basis you shoudl try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation
If that fails then you will need to make an application to the court for a Child Arrangement Order.
You can read more here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you