How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Do Grandparents have any legal rights for access to Grandchildren

Customer Question

Do Grandparents have any legal rights for access to Grandchildren after the child's parents divorce?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How old are the children and what has happened with regard to contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Grandparent in question has been giving us a lot hassel, we went to court last year to stop the child's Biological Mother from having direct contact to the child as the mother is a heavy Alcoholic and she has subjected the child to violence.
We won the court case, but the mother is only allowed to write once a month. We were allowed to keep our home address secret from the mother and Grandmother, as long as we gave a satisfactory alternative address for them to write to the child.
Every time the Grandparent saw the child, she would constantly ask the child he would like to see his mother and if he did, then she would take him. The Grandparent never accepted the courts decision and she has been hassling us ever since for our home address.
On Friday the 3rd October the Grandmother turned up on our doorstep, we asked her to leave but she constantly refused, we also asked how she abstained our address, she would only answer with "It's easy". The Grandmother told us that she has every right to come to our address. We are now worried that she will give our address to her daughter.
The child is 17 years old and has Learning Difficulties.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Did you call the police and ask them to make her leave?