How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, My wife took her son and left me to go back to America

This answer was rated:

My wife took her son and left me to go back to America (her birthplace) 1st April this year, she has settled there, there is no chance of her coming back or us ever getting back together, on what grounds can I get a divorce? as neither of us want to wait for the 2 years.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The obvious option would be Unreasonable Behaviour since it is clearly unreasonable to move abroad without you!
Assuming you both wish the divorce this could be an easy and even swift option
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


That was helpful, but I am concerned how I word it on the form, to be seen as unreasonable behaviour rather than desertion for which we would have to wait 2 years, and obviously I do not want it to be refused and lose my payment (its not cheap, that's why I am trying to do it myself)


She has not deserted you - she has
"chosen to return to America despite the fact that the Petitioner asked her not to and has made it plain that she no longer has any feelings for the Petitioner"
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you