How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Been separated 6 years and would like a divorce. We are both

This answer was rated:

Been separated 6 years and would like a divorce. We are both English and got married in Moon Place Mexico in 2006. My wife decided not to register the marriage. She believes as she did not register the marriage in the UK we are not married. She did not change her name and so the UK do not have any record of the marriage. She has since re-married 4 years ago in the UK. I myself would like to re-marry but I am not sure that my wife is correct.
I believe we are still married and that I need to get a divorce before I can remarry and my ex-wife has also committed bigamy.
Am I married?
Has my ex-wife committed bigamy?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your WIFE has indeed committed bigamy.
There is no process by which Foreign marriages need to be Registered in the Uk to be valid.
If the marriage is valid in the country in which it takes place then it is valid in the UK
If you wish to remarry then you will need to divorce your ex on the basis of your five year separation
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you