How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

as a grand parent do i have a right to see my grand children

Customer Question

as a grand parent do i have a right to see my grand children without supervision of our daughter in-law.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what is actually happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

children are 4 years and another one is just over 7 months. my son and his girlfriend do not get on due to my son's angry behaviour so she has put an injunction on him not to visit her at her place but she has agreed in the family court for him to have supervised visit with the kids at a public place supervised by her mother for 6 weeks and if he kept it up with good behaviour than we could have the kids in our place for a day but unfortunately my son did not keep up with the court visitation so now he can not see the kids. because of our son she is not allowing us to have the kids in our place. so my question is this, do we the grand parent have the right to have our grandchildren in our place once a week without having supervision.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Have you been offered any contact at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have contact with children at all time, but it has to be at their place only or take them out. but their mother do not let us have the kids by ourselves or at our place.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
In fact grand parents have no automatic right to contact - they do not even have the automatic right to apply for contact - the court needs to give them permission to do so.
You should try and discuss matters with the mother using Family Mediation
If that fails the you can make an application to the court - but there is no guarantee that you will be successful given the circumstances - although contact at a local contact centre (without mum) might be a possibility.
Please ask if you need further details