How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good afternoonMy daughter has recently broken up with her

Customer Question

Good afternoon
My daughter has recently broken up with her boyfriend. she is 4 months pregnant. He has been quite abusive and did not want anything to do with her pregnancy until now. When she doesn't react to him he gets quite abusive via text and is posting comments on facebook about how he is looking forward to his baby being born, when she has specifically asked her not to.
My daughter now wants nothing to do with him and does not want to put his name on the birth certificate.
His stepsister who lives with him and his mum has had her children taken into care and his mum was living with a convicted paedophile (she kicked him out when she found out. this has probably nothing to do with my daughter and her baby but I felt it worth mentioning.
Can you advise what rights her boyfriend has over the unborn baby and when the baby is born. Is she within her rights to cut him off altogether?
Your comments will be appreciated and helpful. We are going through a stressful time at the moment and it is putting a black cloud over what should be an exciting time.
thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
In fact he has no rights at all until the baby is born.
He cannot insist on being included in scans etc - or attending the birth, or seeing the baby at the hospital, or attending the Registrar with your daughter.
However the baby has the right to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Your daughter needs to offer to discuss contact with her ex using Family Mediation
The father can apply to the court for his name to be added to the Birth Certificate; and separately he can apply for Parental Responsibility Order provided he can prove a relationship with and a commitment to the child.
If he does this then he will be entitled to be consulted on all the major issues in the child's life
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details