How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like to divorce my wife we have lived apart now for

This answer was rated:

I would like to divorce my wife we have lived apart now for 5 year but will not sign paperwork to file for divorce .what can I do now
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you actually issued a Divorce petition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not yet it cost 410 pounds my wife has refused to talk to me or answer
Any of my questions .
I have a solicitor but she is away with having a baby .i have spent 3000 pounds so fare got no we're ,we tried after 2 years in 2011 sent her the paper work but nothing .
I have been to worthing court picked up forms started to fill them in ,have sent emails to my wife asking her to sign .i no if I pay the money again I will
Be wasting my money again
If you have lived apart for five years then you do not need here agreement.
You can issue the Petition, and arrange for it to be personally served on her
Once that has happened you can progress the divorce whether or not she signs any paperwork.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ,so once I send my paperwork to court ,how long will it take for me to get my divorce ?? If my wife does not answer ..
6 months ?? Or longer ..
Provided you arrange for personal service and your ex simply ignores the matter is should take between 4 and 6 months
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Clare what is personal service ,do I need to tell the courts about this ??
You ask the Court to return the papers to you for service.
You then pay a Process Server (private detective) to serve the papers on her personally