How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Clare, You recently advised over maintenance payment

Customer Question

Dear Clare,
You recently advised over maintenance payment to my son now at university.
You said a court would suggest £100 or £200 pounds. His mother was demanding £750. Reasoning with her has been pointless previously. I wrote saying it was best if court decided, payments could be backdated to Sept. I have now received a solicitors letter acting it seems on her behalf saying start paying £750 while a negotiated amount is agreed or court order made. Can you offer advice,
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me.
I suggest that you offer to make a voluntary payment of £200 a month direct to your son.
Remember your ex cannot make a claim as your son is over 18 and at University - your son has to make the claim and you shoudl ask the solicitors for details of his income and expenditure.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your advice.

On the strength of this I have thought to write back to my ex-girlfriend's solicitor saying I am not willing to deal with the mother or her proxy. If the son wishes to negotiate over payments he must deal with me directly. If he prefers a negotiated settlement rather than court (the solicitor's letter says he does) he will need to make contact with me as I have no contact details for him. I know his mother will not like this and would choose not to mention the £200 right now as she will like this less and she has been very vicious in the past. I have not seen any evidence of the son knowing about his mother's approach or that the account his mother suggested paying into is his. I would welcome your comments, Kind Regards, Hugh.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I would instead write and say that you will make payments direct to your son as soon as you are provided with his income and expenditure and bank details.
It would not be wise to simply refuse to deal with the solicitor if he claims to be acting for your son